Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Where Everybody Knows Your Name...."


Yesterday I had a revelation. It was a good one, and I felt really happy! When you grow up in a place and stay there throughout your entire childhood there is a sort of comfort you get in feeling a part of a place. You have a history there. I grew up in a pretty small place. In fact, I lived in the same house, in the same room until I went to college. It was in all reality, a great place to grow up. Despite all of the griping I did in my teenage years, but who doesn't do that, right? I could walk through my backyard to get to my aunt & uncle's house. I rode my bike, towel around my neck and goggles on my handlebars, to swim practice every summer morning. I went to elementary, middle, and high school with the same people. You would always see people you knew while shopping with your parents in Ukrop's - former teachers included.

It wasn't until recently that I finally looked around and realized that Ryan and I were on our way to building a similar place for ourselves in Lynchburg. If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be living in this city, I would have laughed. Lynchburg isn't exactly the place that I imagined for myself. It is a place, much like the place where I grew up, where people have lived their whole lives. Everyone you meet has family or old friends here. There aren't a lot of people, like Ryan and I, who move here randomly. Transplants I like to call them. We moved here knowing nobody!

Over time, and without even being aware of it, we have become a part of this community - however small that part might be. So here is a short list of things I love about this small, ultra conservative, crazy place I call home.

1. My Friends. I have met some of the best friends I could have ever wanted here. Although it is hard to meet people who are like us here, we have managed to find some wonderful people. I love that we can pop over to each other's houses on a whim, see each other at church, and get together for fine Mexican cuisine regularly. We make our own fun, and I like that.

2. Rivermont Avenue. I freaking love our neighborhood. I love our home, and all of its quirks. I love our quiet, little street. I love being able to walk out of my front door and onto Rivermont for a walk or jog on the sidewalk that runs along this adorable, historic street. I feel so lucky to have found it! Everyday when I drive home, I feel happy that I am here.

3. The Cavalier. Yes, I do go to a place with that hideous name. Ha! It truly has become our neighborhood "Cheers!" I find it hilarious that we can walk (from our house) to this dive of all dives and have people call us by name, and pretty much have our beer waiting for us. I mean, how awesome is that? It also doesn't hurt that they have THE best burgers and fries with homemade ranch. End of story!

4. Downtown. Those of you reading this that are Lynchburgians might be thinking, "What downtown?" But, if you look closely at our downtown it has the bones of something that will one day be really amazing. I am such a supporter of the revitalization of downtown that I hate going into new developments like, Wyndhurst, ugh! In the 4+ years that we have been here, we have watched it go from a ghost town to a place where new shops, lofts, & restaurants are slowly creeping in amid lots of renovation construction. I can't wait to see what is next for DT!

5. Running Community. OK, so I am by no means a hard core "runner." I do enjoy running and doing 5K's (Thanks Heather! She was the one who got me started, and is the best runner I know along with her boyfriend Gregg!) but I would call it more of a hobby than a passion. But, I just love that there are so many people around here who love running. It is really motivating to see everyone out and about. I love how there are always tons of races going on for people of all abilities. It reminds me a lot of Richmond! *Sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd add that the close proximity to mountains and good wineries is a nice perk as well..

Heather said...

i'd add that the closeness to riverside runners is a huge perk...

Heather said...

and the fact that you're famous as a teacher, too