Friday, December 26, 2008

The Spirit of the Season


I'm not an in your face kind of person when it comes to matters of faith. Part of that might be my Catholic roots in the midst of the sometimes unaccepting Protestant community where I live. However, that is neither here nor there. Today there is something I would like to share with you. For Christmas this year my parents got me the Willow Tree Nativity set. It was something that I saw awhile back, and just thought it was perfect. I was very excited when I opened it! Well, it came in about a hundred boxes and plastic bags. But as I was unwrapping it, I couldn't help but be moved by the miracle it represented. I love those small, quiet moments of your life where you realize the magnitude of something you may have skimmed over before. I don't know why our hearts are touched when we might least be expecting it, but you can't help but feel a sort of inner peace when yours is. One part of being a Catholic that I really enjoy is the emphasis that Christmas is just starting on December 25. I love the symbolism of Epiphany on January 6, twelve days after the birth, when the wise men came and the good news was then spread to the world. Those twelve days after Christmas give you a chance to settle down after the madness of the holiday and reflect. So when others may rush to pack up their tree and decorations, whisking Christmas away, I like knowing that I have some extra time. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Heather said...

i love love love your Willow Tree nativity. It's gorgeous! :)

Unknown said...

As a parent reading this, your reflection of faith as gift shines like the sunlight reflection from a gold ball...