Sunday, December 21, 2008

Favorite Christmas Albums of All Time


I have a lot of Christmas music in my house. For a while I loved getting new Christmas albums every year. In the past few years I have been a little disappointed by some of the ones I have bought. I think, "Hey! I love this singer, this will be a great one." Only to get home and find that their songs are a little too "breathy" or "jazzy" or "groggy." Here are my top four in no particular order...

1. Bing Crosby's White Christmas - it doesn't get any more classic than this. Bing is the ultimate Christmas crooner. He makes me want to sit by the fire and sip on a Hot Toddy. Actually, scratch the Hot Toddy, I have never had that, and it sounds pretty disgusting. Let's try Hot Cocoa instead.

2. Amy Grant's Home for Christmas - this was THE Christmas album for me growing up. Amy's sweet voice, blend of contemporary and classic, and my own nostalgia is perfection. It takes me back, and I love that.

3. Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas - no popular Top 40 artist to date has been able to recreate the rocking album she delivers. Some might have a great song or two, but every song on this is delicious! Part gospel, part pop this CD is always the first one I listen to when I want to get in the holiday spirit after Thanksgiving.

4. Christmas with Coniff - from my parent's own collection, this record has been around for as long as I can remember. It went on a hiatus when record players did, but I still remember the cheerful voices beckoning me to go on a sleigh ride.

1 comment:

emmalee said...

Ok so the reason I was being a grinch before this weekend was because I have not been able to listen to MC's cd in full yet. what the heck!!!!