Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Guilty Pleasures


We all have them. Lately, it seems that a lot of people try to be superheroes and deny the fact that they have these weaknesses. They like to pretend that they only eat carrot sticks and read works of literary genius - and I am not discriminating against carrots or great books I think those things are great. BUT, let's be real people. Even my cat has a guilty pleasure. See #1 below. Oh, and don't worry - Emily was finished with that bowl of ice cream (which Molly smelled from across the house.) But anyways, one cannot survive with this kind of strict, no nonsense life for long. So, I propose that we start embracing these guilty pleasures for what they are - funny parts of our personality.

I will even start this ball rolling by listing some of my own guilty pleasures.

#1 - Ice Cream - If eating a bowl of ice cream when the need arise means that I will be 2 pounds heavier for the rest of my life, then so be it because who wants to live without this delicious treat? Not I! Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookies & Cream, Butter Pecan, Strawberry....(and don't even get me started on Dibs!) Enough said.

#2 - US Weekly - I have a subscription. Yeah, laugh it up - or roll your eyes if you have to. Yes, I know some of the stories are a little fake. Yes, I know that I am feeding the celebrity worship problem in our nation. But hey, it's not like I'm standing in line for hours to get a glimpse of the Jonas Brothers. One of the best feelings I have every week comes on Saturday morning around 11:00 when the postman comes to deliver my new magazine. I can rest assured that after a long week of mental exhausting 7 years olds, I can relax for the 30 - 40 minutes it takes me to read this delight from cover to cover.

#3 - Snooze Button - Just try and deny that you don't use this, I dare you! I personally feel that the Snooze button was one of the best inventions, ever. There is nothing better than setting your alarm for 5:45 and then snoozing your way to 6:30. I mean, it's like you cheated your way into 45 extra minutes of glorious, lovely sleep. And is it just me or are those snooze minutes THE best sleep of the night?

#4 - PJ's - For those of you that know me, you know that I love to shop and accessorize and find the perfect outfit. I really do like dressing up, it makes you feel good. However, you better believe that when the door closes on my workday, I come home and almost immediately put on some comfy clothes. (All jewelry must go at this point, too.) And who says PJ's can't be cute?!

#5 - Pop Music - Britney, Christina, Beyonce', Mariah...I just love those gals. You know why? Because any song that makes me what to bust a move is fine by me. Yeah, I know. It's not the "coolest." You won't find it playing at your local coffee shop while you sip your organic coffee in your recycled sweater BUT when I'm having a bad day there is one surefire way to make it better - pop in some pop, crank it up, and shake your groove thing! Trust me - no one is watching and if they are - all the more hilarious.

So, those are just a few of the many things that I secretly (and for some of you) not so secretly love. If you haven't tried those things - go ahead, live a little. You might just find yourself a little more smiley.

1 comment:

emmalee said...

Chocolate: M&M's, Chocolate covered pretzels, melted choc chips on ice cream...oh yes I've done it...muddy buddy AHHHH sorry the list could go on :)

Facebook: I check my email WAY to much for this reason.

Sister I couldn't have said the pop music thing better myself. LOOOVE it. Especially when it comes on at the gym. Because then we can dance like noone is watching--even if hulk hogan pants is!