Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Week in Retrospect

Watching this inauguration through the eyes of my 2nd graders was really hilarious. Our country's important day was very impressive. Everywhere I went, I was bombarded with reminders the historical significance this day held. It was a very powerful moment, and it was hard not to be awash in emotion. For me, it was a reminder that no matter what you believe in the end - we can come together when it really counts as a peaceful nation. But, you can only take so much of that kind of blubbering on before you need a catharsis. Luckily, I had a bunch of kids around me. Most of the teachers around the school were tuned in the the inauguration at some point or another. We turned it on around 11, and watched it through lunch. It was very exciting to watch, but I could only be so invested with every 2 seconds a student shouting:

Student "Who's that old guy?"
Me "That's George and Barbara Bush"
Student "Why are there two George Bushes?"
Me "They are father and son."
Student "Who is that guy with Hillary?"
Me "That is Bill Clinton. He was the president before George Bush."
Student "Well, who is THAT guy?"
Me "That is Jimmy Carter - he also used to be president"
Student "Oh - how much longer are we going to watch this?"
Me "Well, Barak and his family will be coming soon. Then, he will make a promise to be the best president he can."
Student "Oh. Mrs. Knapp, do you want to be the president?"
Me "No"
Student "Why? You are really smart."
Me "Well, I like being a teacher. Besides it's too stressful being the president."
Student "But you could live in the White House"
Me "That would be pretty awesome."
Student "Yeah, and you would have a bowling lane AND a movie theater."

At this point the Obamas arrived and all of the kids were silent watching the First Kids. That is when it hit me that what is real to them is a couple of kids getting to move into the White House. I loved that this day represented something different to me than to my students. This day means something different to our parents and grandparents than it might have to us. But what we need is everybody's experience blended together to make a complete experience. You don't realize that you are a part of history until you look back and realize that you have stories to tell about things that have happened in the world. You were there. I think it is a gift to have been an American alive to see the swearing in of our first African American president.

Student "Who is that lady singing?"
Me "That is Aretha Franklin. She is a really famous singer."
Student "Why is she wearing that big bow on her head."
Me "I have no idea."

1 comment:

emmalee said...

haha that is so great! love it!! it's cool what kids teach us :)