Friday, January 16, 2009

Suzanne's Knitting Shoppee

Those of you that know me are aware of my new love: knitting. I haven't been doing it for long, but I am very drawn to this relaxing hobby. I love that you can take it anywhere. I love that there is always something new to learn. I love that it brings people together. And, I love the feeling of accomplishment you get from completing a project.

My good friend, Ashley, happened to mention this article about a local knitting business. She was getting excited about learning to knit herself, and liked the idea of having a place you could go for help if you needed it!

I was out shopping today feeling kind of sorry for myself after I learned that not only had one of my favorite Lynchburg restaurants officially closed, but also a cute boutique as well. MAN! I decided that I would go home empty handed, not wanting to go to the mall only to be disappointed when I was reminded that the Gap had closed, too.

That's when I passed the shopping center where Suzanne's Knitting Shoppee was. I quickly turned into the parking lot, and followed the signs to the side of a strip of shops. I parked and ran in. The article mentioned above did not do this place justice. I looked around, noting the floor to ceiling shelves & racks that held some of the most interesting and most colorful yarn I had ever seen. Prices and labels were handwritten. Completed and partially completed projects were tucked around the store. "Isn't this beautiful?" an elderly woman asked me from her seat on a small bench. I would come to learn that it was knit by Suzanne herself as well. The two women continued to chat quietly about what they had been up to and what everyone was working on in the knitting class. A cup of tea aromatically sat perched on a small table.

I continued to admire all of the different yarns. "Now this is really something," the same woman commented now admiring a shawl, which was very cool. I said that I didn't think I was ready for projects like that yet, being that I was a beginner. That's when Suzanne got up and said, "Oh there's nothing to this!" I laughed and told her that I had just taught myself the knit and purl stitches before Christmas. I felt like I had stepped into a hidden treasure. Suzanne and I continued to talk about what I had knitted, and even gave me a few tips for next time. And there we were two strangers from two very different generations sharing something. There was no pressure to buy, no rush to get in and out, just the murmur of a quiet, first conversation. I pointed out a couple of yarns that interested me and she would comment that this one was hand dyed or these had the richest colors. I told her that I loved her shop and couldn't wait to come back to pick out supplies for my next project. She smiled a deep smile and said, "It was so nice meeting you."

I can't wait to go back, and maybe next time I will bring along a project so I can stay awhile.

2 comments:

emmalee said...

aww i love that! very special sister :)

emmalee said...

whats the difference in a shop, a shoppe and a shoppee??