Saturday, November 17, 2007

What happened to Thanksgiving?

Friday morning, while on my way home from work it was confirmed that Thanksgiving is no longer a holiday of merit. Several incidents have led me to this conclusion. Number 1 - while shopping with my friend last week, we walked into a store where Christmas music was blaring from the speakers (of course, we immediately had to leave). Number 2 - while driving home through downtown, I saw that all the shops had their windows decorated and all the lamp posts had green wreaths attached. Number 3 - over the weekend, I visited my parents and I spotted not one but TWO trees bright and shining in the windows. Number 4 - on my way home from work Friday I noticed that what was once a normal radio station had turned to "All Christmas All the Time." Now, before you start thinking that I'm the biggest grinch ever, let me explain something. I love Christmas. I might even consider myself a Christmas fanatic. I love decorating, baking, and listening to Christmas tunes as much as the next fool...that is AFTER Thanksgiving has officially ended. Of course, I have occasionally been caught humming a Christmas tune or two around Thanksgiving. BUT, that is my own choice and I refuse to have Christmas rammed down my throat any earlier than the day after Thanksgiving. Doesn't Thanksgiving deserve it's own spotlight? I can just picture Bette Midler (aka Christmas) singing wind beneath my wings to Thanksgiving. It's terrible. I say we take a stand and take back Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Thinker, I agree! Thanksgiving is getting jipped out of being enjoyed because of overzealous merchants wanting to grab the ever earlier Christmas shopping dollar. The Christmas season shall NOT officially start until the day after Thanksgiving...case closed!