Thursday, November 22, 2007

Saving Grace

I accomplished something today that I never thought I could! I ran in my first 10k!! I was pretty nervous because I hadn't been able to run for a week due to a minor knee injury. Last Saturday I did something to my knee and I had decided to stay off of it and take it easy in hopes that it would be better by Thursday morning. Yesterday I got pretty down because after all of that time staying off of it, it was still bothering me and I had no idea if I'd be able to even do a mile of the race. It wasn't that I had been training super hard for this race, but gradually over the last year I have worked really hard to become a runner. Starting from not even being able to run one mile, and working my way up to running in 5k and 4 mile races is something that I'm really proud of. I love the feeling I get during a run. I love that I can put on my sneakers and just see how far I can go. I love that each time I run, I feel stronger and better about myself - both physically and emotionally. Running to me has become such a positive outlet in my life and I finally felt ready to try the next big step! Well, this morning I woke up and said to myself I'm just going to try - if I have to walk it will be okay. My sister and I pull up, park, and head on over. After a rough start (being trapped in a portapotty while hundreds of racers rushed past) we finally set off on the course. The first mile was horrible. I just didn't know if I could do it, but I kept telling myself to push through. The course was extremely hilly and I kept thinking "oh dear!" After the first two miles, I really felt great and at that point I knew that I could at least do the 4 miles I was used to. Well, after what seemed like a hundred hills we finally rounded a corner and saw the 4 mile mark. It was then that I knew I could do it - I could run to the finish line, and I did! What I couldn't have done though is completed it without my sister. She is the most extraordinary person I know. She was so amazing - she ran beside me the whole time and kept encouraging me. If I needed to slow down, she did, and never made me feel like I was holding her back. I still can't believe that I did it, but I'm so glad I did because now I won't feel guilty about that 2nd piece of pumpkin chiffon pie I'm going to have! Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

emmalee said...

You're awesome! It was a lot more fun having a running partner today :) Now for some pumpkin chiffon pie. mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Thinker AND Runner! Congratulations on accomplishing a personal goal. It's always nice to see people achieve that which they didn't think achievable...I think one of your students said it best "You're AWESOME"!