Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dog Days of Summer


I'm back in the blogosphere, and boy does it feel good! Lots of things have been going on at the Knapp house since I last posted. Most importantly, we have a new addition to our family, Hank the Newfoundland.

If I had to describe him in just a few words it would be: big, furry, cuddly, slobbery, happy, drool baby. Yes. That is what he is, and we love him for it!

So far, he sleeps, poops, pees, plays, eats, drinks, cuddles, repeat! The summer is flying by at an alarming rate, yet I continue to be amazed at my productiveness. Usually by this point teachers are planted firmly on the couch, eating popcorn, drinking Ginger Ale, and watching all 6 seasons of Sex in the City. Oh wait, that was me last summer. (It was delicious!)

This summer is quite different. I spend my days alternating between taking care of my Newfbaby, appeasing and stroking my cat's ego, and running around like a crazy woman trying to get all of the laundry, housework, and errands done before the beast awakens. Did I mention that now things like vacuuming and mopping are no longer optional tasks for the week? Yes, mopping is a must once a week (see drool and slobber above) and where I used to get away with picking up large dust bunnies in the hope that I could wait to vacuum until next week I am now vacuuming at least once a week as having two furbabies keep the dust bunnies tumbling by at an alarming rate.
Oh, and did I mention that owning a newf means that jeans you would normally wear three, four, or ten times in a row (oh stop making that face, we all do it) must be washed after every use. Sigh, I guess I'm growing up. Having this dog has made me start accepting the responsibilities I should have accepted 5 years ago when I graduated from college. So for all of you who are rolling your eyes and patting yourself on the back thinking that you have always had these things under control and your house and laundry are always perfect...newsflash...I just got out of 5 years of housework while you were slaving away! *wink*

Yes, these are the dog days of summer, just not quite in the way I anticipated.

No comments: